All six of Scarborough’s Green Party of Ontario candidates have signed Basic Income Now’s Candidate Pledge. By signing the pledge the candidates have promised to actively support the establishment of a Basic Income in Ontario.
“To bring everyone opportunities during the climate emergency, we must take care of the most vulnerable, that is why I advocate for a Basic Guaranteed Income” said Priyan de Silva, candidate for Scarborough – Rouge Park, “We believe in treating people with dignity and fairness. We demand an immediate increase in Ontario Works and ODSP as the initial steps in bringing in a universal Basic Income Guarantee that will give the people of Ontario greater economic security in an ever more perilous economy.”
The Green plan for a Basic Income Guarantee:
- Phase in a Basic Income, with the first step being to double ODSP and OW rates and reduce aggressive clawbacks.
- Eliminate unnecessary red tape, reporting requirements, and other barriers typically faced by those needing financial support.
- Maintain all existing supplementary supports that are available with current income assistance programs.
“Voters who want to see a Basic income should vote for the Ontario Greens. We are the only party in Scarborough willing to stand up for Basic income as a tool to combat systemic poverty. If you want Green, vote Green.” Said Cara Brideau, candidate for Scarborough Southwest.
Scarborough’s Green Party Candidates are:
- Dean Boulding, Scarborough – Guildwood
- Cara Brideau, Scarborough Southwest
- Priyan de Silva, Scarborough – Rouge Park
- Fatima Faruq, Scarborough Centre
- Tara McMahon, Scarborough North
- Jacqueline Scott, Scarborough – Agincourt
Note: at time of writing Basic Income Now’s website (https://www.basicincomenow.ca) has not yet been updated to list all names.